Saturday, January 23, 2010

Teachers as Learners

I must admit that at times, almost daily, I struggle with balancing the demands of being a mother of three young children, the work load of being a middle school teacher and the devotion of time required to pursue graduate classes. Time is a precious commodity in my life and I definitely get it when teachers say that there isn't just enough time in the day! Prioritizing the laundry list of obligations is a necessity, but teachers, as professionals, have the responsibility to stay updated on the latest research and its' educational applications in the classroom. Staying abreast of developments can not be something which is neglected due to time constraints. With the advent of Web 2.0 obtaining the valuable insight offered by experts in the field is easier than ever. Blogs by experts in various fields, such as technology and differentiated instruction, are accessible within seconds when utilizing an RSS feed. Websites, such as those hosted by the National Middle School Association, MiddleWeb and Edutopia, place a wealth of invaluable resources at the fingertips of educators. We are constantly challenging our students to make growth. Shouldn't we lead by example? Take the time improve yourself as an educator....today!

5 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. I think the more technology is available to our students in the classroom and the world they will live in, the more we need to stay current. Technology integration has become this catch phrase, much like differentiated instruction. It's our responsibility as educators to take it beyond the 'catch phrase' status. With that said, districts can't expect teachers to do all this on their own. It can't come down to taking tech. classes and utilizing vacations, the summer, and weekends to catch up with the changing technology world. Districts need to start using prof. development opportunities, inservice days, and common planning time to try and eliminate this time crunch. I know we will always have the no time crutch to lean on, but I'm tired of that! If we don't have the time then let's make it, and if we don't communicate that with our administration then shame on us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. More than ever before PD is right at our fingertips...and not just quantity...but the possibility to collaborate with each other on your own time...not just on the four half days designated for PD each year in school.

    Given this tremendous opportunity, we need to carefully re-think PD and how it can work for us. On the flip side, of course, is making sure we don't just add more work time to our days and nights.

    What do you think of this idea? One of the biggest challenges in using technology to learn is in managing it so it doesn't overwhelm us (or maybe this is just my personal concern). Anyway, I'm interested in what others think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe is right on the money here about PD. That might be a terrific project...to plan a school-wide PD program using the various tools we now have at our disposal. What would it include? How would it work? How could it be differentiated by team? This could be powerful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel about time being a precious commodity. Besides taking a full grad course load, I work two jobs and I am trying to be the go-to person in my family. I mean, look at the time I'm posting this; I have only slept two hours. I also agree about teachers being learners as well. It sets a good example for our students to see that we are also trying to improve ourselves, not only in their eyes, but in our own.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post just adds to my sadness and frustration that professional development, unless for rectification, has been eliminated at Brewer. I feel like one of the bonuses of being a teacher (aside from improving lives everyday!) was being able to pursue my own interests in teaching without cost. What a sad, sad, day in education...

    ReplyDelete