Friday, January 29, 2010

Tangles

Seriously... barbed wire! At first glance, I was under the impression that Ben Johnson, author of
The Barbed Wire Model of Classroom Management was getting caught up in a literary moment attempting to enthrall the audience with his use of symbolism. By the time that I had finished his article, http://www.edutopia.org/classroom-management-barbed-wire-model, I was declaring the man a genius. His analogy of barbed wire to the struggles with classroom management, which we all face at various moments in time, was a profound reminder that every student and every combination of students is different and need to be treated as their own entity. A "behavior management system" is not something which is meant to be written in black and white, rather a belief system about who students are and how their needs should be addressed. "We constantly have to struggle with overcoming mediocrity (laziness) and getting our students to think and behave in creative ways. Our job is to stay at least one step ahead of the students and to differentiate the curriculum to match their current needs (not wants), because they might change at a moment's notice. Variety is the key." Successful classroom management is not measured by a quiet classroom where all students are busily engaged in a reading or writing task. True classroom management is when a teacher has the vision to engage students in creative, constructive and meaningful exercises in learning and application of that learning. Despite all of our best efforts, there have been and will continue to be instances where we are left scratching our heads as we struggle to find the right mixture of variables which will result in the creation of a successfully functioning learning environment. Johnson's acknowledgement that we will all face our own barbed wire is comforting, reminding us that we are not alone in the trials and tribulations that come with the decision to teach: "We are willing to tackle that barbed wire, knowing that we probably won't come out unscathed. But we are willing to take the risk if it will help our students. So, wear your scars with pride."

4 comments:

  1. I absolutely agree that successful classroom management is measured by busy engagement--i.e., the community's capacity to appear messy and disorganized without actually being "off-task" (for lack of a quicker term). However, that requires a big-time sense of security on the part of the teacher. We live in a time when it is often more important for a teacher to be able to say I'm keeping them in line and following the curriculum than we're learning in here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I really liked the "Barbed Wire" analogy the author used in his blog. And Tricia, I like your comment about a belief system because a behavior management system sounds so clinical and mechanistic. Having a classroom that works is such as art (and some science as well!), but bringing so many pieces together is no easy task. Ken's right about the teacher sense of security to make this happen. As much as we have tried in the last few years to make teaching a simple behavioral system...it isn't even close to that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Classroom management was always and remains to some degree a big concern of mine. To me without it, no learning can occur. Please correct me if I am wrong. If you walk into my classroom at any given moment, I would say that most of the time you would find my classroom louder than most with students in varying places. Noise doesn't really bother me after growing up in a busy household, so I easily tune it out (which can become a problem when forgotten). I am an organizer and perfectionist by nature so I am sure many would find a classroom so noisy and busy as a classroom that isn't well managed. I am a big fan of "organized chaos."

    I thankfully have a principal who understands this theory and realizes that while my classroom may be noisy at times, learning is occurring. There are times when students do need to be quiet and all at their seats and ALL on-task, but this should be the exception not the norm. I wish more teachers would break from that model that Ken referenced that if I'm keeping them in line and following the curriculum then we're learning in here.

    I'm not sure I am at the "true classroom management" system described in your post, but I aim to get there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Support on the part of administrators is one of the key variables in providing teachers the comfort level necessary to develop a classroom management system which instills accountability on the part of both students and the teacher, within an "organized state of chaos". I remember the horrified feeling I had as my vice-principal came into my room and informed me that she had received some complaints of noise coming from my room! The sense of relief which overcame me next as she began laughing and asked what I was doing with the students is indescribable. It had been an exercise in understanding how communication could be a barrier when different groups had to work together. Each group had to make their own "language" and then convey a message to another group. I can imagine how an individual who believes in the notion that classroom management is a quiet classroom where students are sitting in rows of desk would not find students making chicken noises amusing. I am grateful that my vice-principal does.

    ReplyDelete