Friday, April 9, 2010

Food Revolution

I confess! Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution is my favorite new show. Considering that the majority of the shows which I am subjected to tend to be rated G, this might not be saying much, however I am hooked! The premise is that Jamie Oliver, a chef from England, has come to Huntington, West Virginia, voted as the unhealthiest place in America, to change their eating habits. People may watch this show and think that it is hype, but the sad truth is that I send my daughter to school with a lunch that I make because the lunches served at schools are similar to what Jamie has shown on his show. With the financial crisis currently facing public education, the reality is that money is what decisions are based on. To create truly nutritious meals, like Jamie is suggesting, begins with fresh ingredients, which cost more than processed foods, and continues with cooks who are provided with the time necessary to create meals with these ingredients (which also takes more money to pay the cooks for more time in the kitchen).

Sadly, many parents are not aware of what their children are eating. In addition, many students who qualify for free or reduced lunch under the federal food program, may not always get a meal outside of school. If we truly care about the youth of this nation, shouldn't we be doing something to ensure that they are being provided with a healthy eating habits? In a state like Maine, where about 2/3 of the population is classified as overweight or obese an effort needs to be made to break this trend.

http://www.mainebirdflu.org/index.php?mod=%2Flibrary%2F&act=showcategory&CID=0831


3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more - it does come down to budgets not necessarily what's best for the child. Just the other day on the front page of the Bangor Daily News they had yet again another article on obesity. I truly feel the real problem is in not getting involved, with our children, into activities. Parents, whether they like it or not, are role models for their children - and sadly, too many parents do not have time for their own children. Until we honestly start looking at the reasons behind, instead of just a bandaid - things will not change. I have a small poster on my board behind my desk that is of a man and a woman roller-blading and it states "in our busy lives, we still make time to not help kids."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was reading, maybe it was in our Curriculum book, that children spend an average of 4 hours per day in front of the TV or sitting in front of a video game console. YIKES! They don't play outside. I remember growing up that we went outside everyday when we got home unless it was pouring or too cold. We'd come in for supper and go back out until the street lights came on and that was our cue to come in. In the summer we were outside all day, only coming in for meals. I'm only 24 too, so my childhood was not that long ago. Growing up, I didn't see too many kids in my elementary classroom that were obese. We played.

    In our school we are not allowed to have any "bad" treats at the 2 class parties we have with our students. Our only "bad" treat on our list of food to bring was 2 dozen cookies. This is to address the obesity. One cookie, twice a year, is not making our children obese. It is the 3 Little Debbie snacks they are bringing in for snack each day because they are cheaper than fruits and vegetables.

    Also, not to bag on the cafeteria at our school, but their lunches leave A LOT to be desired. They get served things like Trix cereal bars for breakfast. French toast and french fries for lunch (that was our lunch a few days back). They get served the Smucker's frozen PBJ sandwiches if they want that. They don't get a lot of any of the food. I know they are trying their best, and it is the best meal that some of these kids are getting, but I wonder how much better we could be doing. I look at the school lunch calendar for my nephew in Lewiston, and the lunch he is getting is far different, and miles better, than the students at my school are getting.

    How do we get good quality, nutritious food into the hands of our students along with getting them moving?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Coworkers were talking about Jamie Oliver two weeks ago so I had to check it out last week. I agree that it may be hype, but so what?! He is showing the truth, regardless of the format he's using. If this is a way to get those same parents and kids to realize what is happening, good for him.

    My husband and I watched last week and we were shocked at the woman who insisted Jamie's stir fry didn't have a cup and a quarter of vegggies yet the kids who ate french fries were all set on their vegetable quota. Whoa! Her argument was "that is not a reimbursible meal". Just like you say - all about the money. (My husband also pointed out that the french fries looked delicious, but we couldn't imagine eating them every single day.)

    It made me take a closer look at my school. While we do offer the home cooking and a great salad bar, yogurts and popcorn/pretzels, we also have the "staples" that kids are buying every day. Pizza, burgers, fries and ice cream. Every single day. Then we watch them POUR the salt on, or the dressing, or the sour cream. I will definitely be packing my daughter's lunch when she starts Kindergarten this year.

    ReplyDelete